Preventing Asthma in High Risk Kids
a study on Asthma
This trial is a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial designed to test whether two years treatment of preschool children aged 2-3 years of age at high risk for asthma with omalizumab (anti-IgE) for two years will prevent the progression to childhood asthma, as reflected by a reduction in the prevalence of active asthma in the Final 12 months during 2 year observation period off study drug.
Controlling and Preventing Asthma Progression and Severity in Kids
Prevention/ Disease modification of asthma.
You can join if…
Open to people ages 24 months to 47 months
- Parent/guardian must be able to understand and provide signed and dated written informed consent; he/she must also be able to communicate with study staff.
- 24-47 months of age at randomization
- 2-4 wheezing episodes in the past year
- positive allergy to aeroallergen
- first degree relative with history or current diagnosis of asthma or allergy
- If is participating in a food immunotherapy treatment that is not part of a clinical trial, has been on an established maintenance regimen implemented continuously for a minimum of 2 months.
You CAN'T join if...
- >4 episodes of wheezing in the past year
- Use of Step 5 or Step 6 therapy (ICS plus LABA ) at the time of enrollment (Visit 0).
- Need for systemic corticosteroids or a hospitalization for respiratory symptoms within four weeks prior to screening.
- Three or more courses of systemic corticosteroids for wheezing illnesses in the last year
- More than four days of symptoms of wheezing, or tightness in the chest or cough in the past two weeks causing at least minimal limitation of activity
- More than four days of albuterol treatment (for symptoms) in the past two weeks
- More than one night of symptoms of wheezing, or tightness in the chest or cough causing sleep disruption in the past two weeks
- More than one night of albuterol treatment (for symptoms) in the past two weeks
Prematurity (<34 weeks gestation)
10. Need for oxygen for more than 5 days in the neonatal period 11. History of intubation or mechanical ventilation for respiratory illness 12. Other significant medical conditions, including: major congenital anomalies, cystic
13. Expecting to relocate within 4 years of study initiation to a place which would make
in-person clinical visits impossible
14. Deemed unable to adhere to study activities 15. Prior aeroallergen immunotherapy or use of biologics including anti-IgE 16. Prior IVIG or systemic immunosuppressant other than corticosteroids 17. History of hypoxic seizures during a wheezing episode 18. Total IgE outside of the omalizumab dosing range. 19. Enrolled in any clinical medication trial within the past 30 days. 20. With platelet counts < 150 x 109/L at the Screening Visit (V0) 21. Past or current medical problems or findings from physical examination or laboratory
testing that are not listed above, which, in the opinion of the investigator, may pose additional risks from participation in the study, may interfere with the participant's ability to comply with study requirements or may impact the quality or interpretation of the data obtained from the study.
22. History of severe anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions from any cause
- Rady Children's Hospital - San Diego
accepting new patients
San Diego California 92123 United States
- Phoenix Children's Hospital
accepting new patients
Phoenix Arizona 85016 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Boston Children's Hospital
- Phase 2 Asthma Research Study
- Study Type
- Expecting 200 study participants
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.