This is a pilot trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a combined oral formulation of THC and CBD in patients with Essential Tremor.
A Double-Blind, Cross-Over, Placebo- Controlled Efficacy and Tolerability Study of Oral Cannabidiol (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) for Essential Tremor (ET).
Essential tremor (ET) is the most common neurological movement disorder, affecting up to 1% of the population and up to 5% of individuals over the age of 65. ET is characterized by often disabling tremors that occur when an individual moves. The tremors most commonly affect the hands, head, voice, and legs in order of frequency, leading to impairment in activities of daily living and morbidity. No pharmacological agent has been developed for ET, though existing agents such as propranolol and primidone are used off-label to reduce tremor amplitude. Deep brain stimulation surgery is often reserved for only individuals with the most severe tremors. Patients with ET have long reported tremor benefits with the use of cannabis, though no controlled trials have been conducted. The investigators plan to conduct the first double-blind, placebo-control clinical trial of cannabis in an oral capsule. Various validated tremor rating methods will be used to quantify tremor severity, while looking at tolerability and safety.
Essential Tremor Tremor CBD/THC
You can join if…
Open to people ages 21 years and up
- Diagnosis of ET by a Movement Disorder Neurologist
- Stable dose of tremor medication for a period of at least 6 weeks prior to screening
- Tremor in the arms
- Tremor(s) is/are moderately severe (amplitude of at least 1cm)
You CAN'T join if...
- Significant non-ET related abnormal findings on neurological exam
- Tremor at rest, or other features suggestive of Parkinson disease
- Diagnosis of dementia
- Pregnant or nursing
- Childbearing potential and unable or unwilling to use contraception during course of the trial
- On medications known to interact with the study drug
- Current or prior history of alcohol or substance abuse
- Recent exposure to primidone (within the past 21 days) or benzodiazepines (such as Valium, Ativan or Klonopin), ketoconazole, ritonavir, clarithromycin, rifampin, carbamazepine, St. Johns Wort, digoxin or other medications known to affect your liver enzymes (within the past 7 days).
- Unwilling to abstain from consuming grapefruits, grapefruit juice or grapefruit containing products.
- Taking medications such as warfarin, cyclosporine, and amphotericin B that are highly protein-bound
- Do not wish to take a cannabis-derived agent
- Allergy or sensitivity to sorbitol, xylitol, stevia or other natural sweeteners
- Allergy or sensitivity to cannabis
- Used cannabis or a cannabis-derived product (such as CBD oil) within the past 4 weeks or plan to use it during this research study.
- Diagnosis of a psychiatric disorder (e.g., mania, bipolar depressive disorder, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or other major psychiatric disorder)
- Current or prior history of suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
- Active medical problem affecting the immune system, liver, gastrointestinal tract, lungs, heart, endocrine system (such as diabetes and/or thyroid), and/or a blood clotting disorder
- Current infection
- Reduced kidney function (GFR <60)
- University of California San Diego
accepting new patients
La Jolla California 92093 United States
Lead Scientist at UCSD
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.