Cognitive Effects of Oral p38 Alpha Kinase Inhibitor Neflamapimod in Dementia With Lewy Bodies
This is a Phase 2, multi-center, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, proof-of-principle study of neflamapimod versus matching placebo (randomized 1:1) administered with food for 16 weeks in subjects with DLB. The primary objective is to evaluate the effect of neflamapimod on cognitive function as assessed in a study-specific Cogstate Neuropsychological Test Battery (NTB). Secondary endpoints include the Clinical Dementia Rating Scale-Sum of Boxes (CDR-SB), Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE), Neuropsychiatric Inventory (NPI-10), Timed Up and Go Test, and electroencephalogram (EEG) as a potential biomarker for DLB.
A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled 16-Week Study of the Cognitive Effects of Oral p38 Alpha Kinase Inhibitor Neflamapimod in Dementia With Lewy Bodies (DLB)
Dementia With Lewy Bodies (DLB) Dementia Lewy Body Disease Neflamapimod
You can join if…
Open to people ages 55 years and up
- Men and women aged ≥55 years.
- Subject or subject's legally authorized representative is willing and able to provide written informed consent.
- Probable DLB and identified cognitive deficits, according to current consensus criteria (McKeith et al, 2017), specifically one core clinical feature and a positive DaTscan. If a negative DaTscan, but the subject has historical PSG-verified RBD, the subject would also qualify.
- MMSE score of 15-28, inclusive, during Screening.
- Currently receiving cholinesterase inhibitor therapy, having received such therapy for greater than 3 months and on a stable dose for at least 6 weeks at the time of randomization. Except for reducing the dose for tolerability reasons, the dose of cholinesterase inhibitor may not be modified during the study.
- Normal or corrected eye sight and auditory abilities, sufficient to perform all aspects of the cognitive and functional assessments.
- No history of learning difficulties that may interfere with their ability to complete the cognitive tests.
- Must have reliable informant or caregiver.
You CAN'T join if...
- Diagnosis of any other ongoing central nervous system (CNS) condition other than DLB, including, but not limited to, post-stroke dementia, vascular dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), or Parkinson's disease (PD).
- Suicidality, defined as active suicidal thoughts within 6 months before Screening or at Baseline, defined as answering yes to items 4 or 5 on the C-SSRS, or history of suicide attempt in previous 2 years, or, in the Investigator's opinion, at serious risk of suicide.
- Ongoing major and active psychiatric disorder and/or other concurrent medical condition that, in the opinion of the Investigator, might compromise safety and/or compliance with study requirements.
- Diagnosis of alcohol or drug abuse within the previous 2 years.
- Poorly controlled clinically significant medical illness, such as hypertension (blood pressure >180 mmHg systolic or 100 mmHg diastolic); myocardial infarction within 6 months; uncompensated congestive heart failure or other significant cardiovascular, pulmonary, renal, liver, infectious disease, immune disorder, or metabolic/endocrine disorders or other disease that would interfere with assessment of drug safety.
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) or alanine aminotransferase (ALT) >2 × the upper limit of normal (ULN), total bilirubin >1.5 × ULN, and/or International Normalized Ratio (INR) >1.5.
- Known human immunodeficiency virus, hepatitis B, or active hepatitis C virus infection.
- Participated in a study of an investigational drug less than 3 months or 5 half-lives of an investigational drug, whichever is longer, before enrollment in this study.
- History of previous neurosurgery to the brain.
- . If male with female partner(s) of child-bearing potential, unwilling or unable to adhere to contraception requirements specified in the protocol.
- . If female who has not has not reached menopause >1 year previously or has not had a hysterectomy or bilateral oophorectomy/salpingo-oophorectomy, has a positive pregnancy test result during Screening and/or is unwilling or unable to adhere to the contraception requirements specified in the protocol.
- University of California San Diego (UCSD)
La Jolla California 92037 United States
- Pacific Neuroscience Institute
Santa Monica California 90404 United States
- in progress, not accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- EIP Pharma Inc
- Phase 2
- Study Type
- Last Updated