Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement to UNload the Left Ventricle in Patients With ADvanced Heart Failure (TAVR UNLOAD)
The objective of this study is to determine the safety and efficacy of transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) via a transfemoral approach in HF patients with moderate AS as compared with OHFT.
Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement to UNload the Left Ventricle in Patients With ADvanced Heart Failure: A Randomized Trial (TAVR UNLOAD)
Aortic Valve Stenosis Valve Heart Failure SAPIEN 3 THV Optimal Heart Failure Therapy OHFT
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18 years and up
Patients to be included in the study must meet the following inclusion criteria:
- Age ≥18 years
- NYHA class ≥ 2
- NT-proBNP > 1500 pg/mL (or BNP > 400 pg/mL) or hospitalization for HF within the last year
- Under appropriate guideline-directed HF therapy (including cardiac resynchronization therapy) for a minimum of 3 months.
-Patients are expected to be on appropriate pharmacologic therapy and if indicated CRT for heart failure. (12, 13) Patients with aortic stenosis may not be able to tolerate maximal doses of heart failure medications and no specific guidelines exist for the medical treatment of heart failure in the setting of aortic stenosis. It is expected that the heart failure PI will review the medical therapy and confirm that it is appropriate for the patient's condition.
- Moderate AS confirmed by the echo core lab. Moderate AS is defined as an aortic valve area (AVA) >1.0 cm2 and ≤1.5 cm2 on rest echo or if ≤1.0 cm2 at rest and low flow AS is suspected an AVA > 1.0 cm2 with low dose dobutamine stress echo (DSE). Patients with AVA<1.0 cm2 but with an indexed AVA of >0.6cm2 on either rest or DSE are also eligible.
Note: Typically such cases will demonstrate,
- Mean trans-aortic gradient (MG) ≥ 20 mmHg and < 40 mmHg at rest and aortic valve area (AVA) > 1.0 cm2 and ≤1.5 cm2 (or AVA < 1.0 cm2 but indexed AVA > 0.6 cm2) at rest OR
- Mean trans-aortic gradient (MG) ≥ 20 mmHg and < 40 mmHg and aortic valve area(AVA) ≤1.0 cm2 at rest AND MG < 40 mmHg and aortic valve area (AVA) >1.0 cm2 (or AVA < 1.0 cm2 but indexed AVA > 0.6 cm2) with low dose dobutamine stress echo(DSE).
In atypical cases (for example mean gradient is below 20 mmHg but valve area is consistent with moderate AS, the final eligibility determination in regards to diagnosis of moderate AS will be made by the echocardiographic core lab.
- Left ventricular (LV) ejection fraction (EF) < 50% at rest
- Anatomically suitable for transfemoral TAVR with the SAPIEN 3 THV
- Able to provide independent informed consent (i.e., not requiring a legally authorized representative)
You CAN'T join if...
Candidates are excluded from the study if any of the following conditions are present:
- LVEF < 20% or persistent need for intravenous inotropic support
- Hospitalization for acute decompensated HF within 2 weeks prior to randomization
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) device implantation within 3 months prior to randomization
- Coronary artery revascularization (PCI or CABG) within 3 months prior to randomization
- In need and suitable for revascularization per heart team consensus
- Severe aortic and/or mitral regurgitation
- Congenital unicuspid or congenital bicuspid aortic valve
- Concomitant non-aortic valvular disease with a formal indication for valve surgery per established guidelines (ESC/ACC/AHA)
- Previous aortic valve replacement (mechanical or bioprosthetic)
- . Severe RV dysfunction
- . Previous stroke with permanent disability (modified Rankin score ≥ 2)
- . Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) GOLD 4 (FEV1 <30% predicted, <50%predicted with chronic respiratory failure present (long-term oxygen therapy), or FEV1/FVC <0.70)
- . Severe chronic kidney disease: glomerular filtration rate (GFR) < 30 mL/min by MDRD or need for renal replacement therapy
- . Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding within the past 3 months
- . Liver cirrhosis Child-Pugh C
- . Active systemic infection, including active endocarditis
- . Unwilling to accept blood transfusion
- . Evidence of intracardiac mass, thrombus or vegetation
- . Absence of minimum amount of aortic valve calcification necessary for TAVR with the SAPIEN 3 THV
- . Hypersensitivity or contraindication to clopidogrel, aspirin, or to oral anticoagulation if indicated (e.g. subject in atrial fibrillation)
- . Sensitivity to contrast media which cannot be adequately pre-medicated
- . Women of child-bearing potential
- . Clinical signs of dementia
- . Other medical, social, or psychological conditions that precludes appropriate consent and follow-up
- . Life expectancy < 2 years due to cancer or other non-cardiac chronic diseases
- . Unwillingness to undergo follow-up investigations
- . Currently participating in an investigational drug or another device trial that has not reached its primary endpoint (excluding registries)
- UCSD/Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center accepting new patients
La Jolla California 92037 United States
- University of Southern California - Los Angeles accepting new patients
Los Angeles California 90033 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Cardiovascular Research Foundation, New York
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.