Phase III DAS181 Lower Tract PIV Infection in Immunocompromised Subjects (Substudy: DAS181 for COVID-19): RCT Study
- at San Diego, California and other locations
- study startedestimated completion
This study will seek to enroll immunocompromised patients with Lower Tract parainfluenza infection. It also contains a sub-study to enroll patients with severe COVID-19.
A Phase III Randomized Placebo-Controlled Study to Examine the Efficacy and Safety of DAS181 for the Treatment of Lower Respiratory Tract Parainfluenza Infection in Immunocompromised Subjects
Eligible subjects (i.e., those meeting the Inclusion / Exclusion criteria) will be enrolled in one of four cohorts based on the following criteria: Cohort 1: All eligible subjects in the PoI who are ≥18 year old subjects with a PIV infection and meet all of the following criteria: 1.1 Meet criteria for being severely immunocompromised 1.2 Prior to the onset of PIV infection, had no ongoing need for oxygen therapy due to a chronic respiratory condition (e.g., COPD, sleep apnea) and are assessed as acutely hypoxemic due to their PIV infection 1.3 At the time of randomization are not on mechanical, bi-level or continuous positive airway pressure (Bi-PAP or CPAP) ventilation 1.4 Have no known concurrent respiratory viral coinfection(s) Cohort 2: All eligible subjects in the PoI who are ≥18 year old with a PIV infection (including those with PIV and another SAD-RV) who do not meet one or more of the listed criteria for Cohort 1. Cohort 3: All eligible subjects in the PoI who are <18 year old subjects with a PIV infection (including those with PIV and another concurrent SAD-RV). There is no lower age limit for this cohort. Cohort 4: All eligible subjects in the PoI with a respiratory infection due to any SAD-RV infection except PIV. Eligible subjects with both PIV and an additional concurrent SAD-RV, will be enrolled for either Cohorts 2 or 3 depending on their age. There is no lower age limit for this cohort. Sub-Study: Patients with Severe COVID-19
Lower Respiratory Tract Infection Parainfluenza Immunocompromised COVID-19 PIV LRTI COVID19 SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus Ansun Infection Communicable Diseases Respiratory Tract Infections Paramyxoviridae Infections DAS181 DAS181 COVID-19 DAS181 OL
You can join if…
- At the time of randomization, requires supplemental oxygen ≥2 LPM due to hypoxemia.
- Immunocompromised, as defined by one or more of the following:
- Received an autologous or allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) at any time in the past
- Received a solid organ transplant at any time in the past
- Has been or is currently being treated with chemotherapy for hematologic malignancies (e.g., leukemia, myeloma, lymphoma) and/or solid tumor malignancies (e.g., lung, breast, brain cancer) at any time in the past
- Has an immunodeficiency due to congenital abnormality (only applicable to subjects age < 18 years old) or pre-term birth (only applicable to subjects age ≤ 2 years old)
- Has, within 3 days prior to randomization, a confirmed LRTI with a sialic acid dependent respiratory virus
- If female, subject must meet one of the following conditions:
- Not be of childbearing potential or
- Be of childbearing potential and have a negative urine/serum pregnancy test and agrees to practice an acceptable method of contraception
- Non-vasectomized males are required to practice effective birth control methods
- Capable of understanding and complying with procedures as outlined in the protocol
- Provides signed informed consent prior to the initiation of any screening or study-specific procedures
For COVID-19 sub study:
- Be ≥18 years of age
- Provide adequate medical history to permit accurate stratification (but health status may be healthy, high-risk conditions, or immunocompromised).
- Prior to SARS CoV 2 infection, has the ability to carry out self-care activities of daily living (basic ADL)
- Have lower respiratory tract infection (LRTI) confirmed by CT imaging, with or without contrast, to involve at least 2 lobes of the lung.
- Has laboratory-confirmation of the presence of SARS CoV 2 in the respiratory tract by at least one of the following samples
- Satisfy inclusion criteria #1, 4, 5, 6, 7 of the main study
You CAN'T join if...
- Subjects may not be on hospice care or, in the opinion of the investigator, have a low chance of survival during the first 10 days of treatment
- Subjects with Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT), Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST), or
Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP) ≥3x ULN and Total Bilirubin (TBILI) ≥2x ULN Note: Subjects with ALT/AST/ALP ≥ 3x ULN AND TB ≥2x ULN that have been chronically stable (for >1 year on more than one assessments) due to known liver pathology including malignancy (primary or metastasis), chronic medications, transplantation, or chronic infection will not be excluded
- Female subjects breastfeeding or planning to breastfeed at any time through 30 days after the last dose of study drug
- Subjects taking any other investigational drug used to treat pulmonary infection.
- Psychiatric or cognitive illness or recreational drug/alcohol use that, in the opinion of the principal investigator, would affect subject safety and/or compliance
- Subjects with known hypersensitivity to DAS181 and/or any of its components
- Subjects with severe sepsis due to either their baseline SAD-RV infection or a concurrent viral, bacterial, or fungal infection and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Has evidence of vital organ failure outside of the lung (e.g., liver, kidney)
- Requires vasopressors to maintain blood pressure
For COVID-19 sub study:
- Subjects requiring invasive mechanical, Bi-PAP or CPAP ventilation at randomization.
- Subjects receiving any other investigational or empiric treatment for SARS-2-CoV (either as part of a clinical trial or under emergency approval (approved agents for the management of symptoms, e.g., fever, are permitted).
- Subjects who are known HIV-positive (and not undetectable at most recent HIV RNA assessment)
- Subjects who are currently taking immunomodulating biologics (e.g, interferons, interleukin)
- Subjects with severe sepsis due to either their SARS-CoV-2 infection or a concurrent viral, bacterial, or fungal infection and meeting at least one of the following criteria:
- Have evidence of vital organ failure outside of the lung (e.g., liver, kidney)
- Require vasopressors to maintain blood pressure
- Subjects meeting exclusion criteria #2, 3, 5 and 6 of the main study
- University of California San Diego Medical Center
accepting new patients
San Diego California 92093 United States
- City of Hope cancer Center
accepting new patients
Duarte California 91010 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Ansun Biopharma, Inc.
- Phase 3
- Study Type
- Last Updated
Please contact me about this study
We will not share your information with anyone other than the team in charge of this study. Submitting your contact information does not obligate you to participate in research.
The study team should get back to you in a few business days.