Dose-Ranging Phase 2b Study of ABX464 in Moderate to Severe Ulcerative Colitis
a study on Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Phase IIb study to evaluate the efficacy and the safety of 3 dose-levels of ABX464, administered daily in patients with moderate to severe Ulcerative Colitis.
A Randomized, Double Blind, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Group, Multiple Dose, Induction Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability and Optimal Dose of ABX464 Compared With Placebo in Patients With Moderate to Severe Ulcerative Colitis Who Have Inadequate Response, Loss of Response, or Intolerance With at Least One of the Following Agents: Immunosuppressant Treatment (i.e. Azathioprine, 6-mercaptopurine, Methotrexate), Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha [TNF-α] Inhibitors, Vedolizumab, JAK Inhibitors and/or Corticosteroid Treatment
This phase IIb study will evaluate the efficacy and the safety of 3 dose-levels of ABX464, administered daily in improving Modified Mayo Score (MMS) in patients with moderate to severe Ulcerative Colitis who have inadequate response, loss of response, or intolerance with at least one of the following agents: immunosuppressant treatment (i.e. azathioprine, 6-mercaptopurine, methotrexate), tumor necrosis factor alpha [TNF-α] inhibitors, vedolizumab, JAK inhibitors and/or corticosteroid treatment .
Eligible patients will be randomized into 4 parallel intervention/treatment groups: 25mg q.d of ABX464, 50mg q.d of ABX464, 100mg q.d of ABX464, or matching placebo and will be treated for 16 weeks.
Ulcerative Colitis ABX464 Refractory patients Phase 2b Dose Ranging Colitis Colitis, Ulcerative Ulcer ABX464 25mg ABX464 50mg ABX464 100mg
You can join if…
Open to people ages 18-75
- Diagnosis of moderate to severe active UC confirmed by endoscopy and histology at least 12 Weeks prior to screening visit. Moderate to severe active UC defined by Modified Mayo Score (MMS) of 5 to 9 inclusive (on a scale of 0-9). Moderate to severe active UC should be confirmed at screening visit with a centrally read endoscopy sub-score of at least 2 (on a scale of 0-3);
- Patients having either a documented inadequate response, no response, a loss of response, or an intolerance (defined as the occurrence of at least one Adverse Reaction leading to treatment discontinuation) to either immunosuppressant treatment (i.e., azathioprine, 6-mercaptopurine, methotrexate), tumor necrosis factor [TNF] inhibitors, vedolizumab, JAK inhibitors and/or corticosteroid treatment
- Patients receiving oral corticosteroids must have been on a stable dose of prednisone or prednisone equivalent (≤16 mg/day) or on beclomethasone diproprionate (≤5mg/day) or on budesonide MMX (≤6mg/day) for at least 2 Weeks prior to the screening visit;
- Topical corticosteroids and topical 5-aminosalicylic acid preparations must have been withdrawn at least 2 Weeks prior to the screening visit;
- Patients who are on oral 5-aminosalicylic acid must have been on a stable dose for at least 4 Weeks prior to the screening visit;
- Patients who are receiving immunosuppressants in the form of azathioprine, 6-mercaptopurine, or methotrexate needed to be on a stable dose for at least 4 Weeks prior to screening visit. Patients taking methotrexate also are advised to take folic acid 1 mg/day (or equivalent) supplementation if there is no contraindication;
- Patients on probiotics (e.g., Culturelle® [Lactobacillus GG, i-Health, Inc.], Saccharomyces boulardii) must be on stable doses for at least 2 Weeks prior to the screening visit;
- Patients on antidiarrheals (e.g., loperamide, diphenoxylate with atropine) must be on stable doses for at least 2 Weeks prior to the screening visit;
- Patients who have received tumor necrosis factor [TNF] inhibitors, vedolizumab or other biologics must have discontinued therapy at least 8 Weeks prior to the screening visit due to lack or insufficient efficacy or intolerance;
- Patients previously treated with cyclosporine, tacrolimus or JAK inhibitors must have discontinued therapy at least 4 Weeks prior to the screening visit due to lack or insufficient efficacy or intolerance;
You CAN'T join if...
- Patients with Crohn's Disease (CD) or presence or history of fistula, indeterminate colitis (IC), infectious/ischemic colitis or microscopic colitis (lymphocytic and collagenous colitis);
- History of toxic megacolon, abdominal abscess, symptomatic colonic stricture or stoma; history or imminent colectomy, colonic malignancy;
- History or current evidence of colonic dysplasia or adenomatous colonic polyps. Patient with severe gastrointestinal complications; e.g., short bowel syndromes, recent or planned bowel surgery, Ileostomy and/or colostomy, recent bowel perforation;
- History of more than one episode of herpes zoster or a history (single episode) of disseminated zoster;
- Patients with known active infections at screening such as infected abdominal abscess, Clostridium difficile (stool antigen and toxin required), CMV, TB colitis and recent infectious hospitalization;
- Patients previously treated with ABX464;
- Acute, chronic or history of clinically relevant pulmonary, cardiovascular, hepatic, pancreatic or renal functional abnormality, encephalopathy, neuropathy or unstable CNS pathology such as seizure disorder, angina or cardiac arrhythmias, active malignancy or any other clinically significant medical problems as determined by physical examination and/or laboratory screening tests and/or medical history;
- Acute, chronic or history of immunodeficiency or autoimmune disease;
- History of malignancy excluding patients considered cured (5 years disease free survivors);
- Serious illness requiring systemic treatment and/or hospitalization within 3 Weeks prior to baseline;
- Pregnant or breast-feeding women;
- Illicit drug or alcohol abuse or dependence;
- Use of any investigational or non-registered product within 3 months preceding baseline;
- Any condition, which in the opinion of the investigator, could compromise the patient's safety or adherence to the study protocol.
- UCSD Health System
not yet accepting patients
San Diego California 92103 United States
- Southern Star Research Institute, LLC
not yet accepting patients
San Antonio Texas 78212 United States
- accepting new patients
- Start Date
- Completion Date
- Abivax S.A.
- Phase 2
- Study Type
- Last Updated